I have a new design for the Idesk Project page. I decided to change the design and concept because I need a new more flexible and fast form to update the content. The Mediawiki project gives me it and so much more. The look and feel is very cool and the navigation is very intuitive and easy to use.
Monthly Archives: May 2006
The new plans for Idesk
After I read all yours comments and I thought what is the better way for the Idesk future. For that I have this new plans:
- I will create two new options for the Idesk Project. I heard the better way for Idesk core is stay lightweight. I think the same. For that, I splited the project in two new options: –with-background and –with-menu. Both options will be available when you compile the Idesk source. Of course, the –with-menu option should be ready when the Menu on Click will be ready. This to let you can choose to have support either Menu or Background (or none). Obvious the binary size will be more small without these options. Idesk with this will be more modular.
- Finish the support for Menu on click for reconfiguration the icons options (Properties: caption, delete, sort, command and change icon). Taken the originally themes and pixmap. All just with X11 libs.
- Support for Vertical text labels. For Caption and Tooltip.Caption. It will be nice.
For now I leave for next versions this:
- Support for composite extension from Xorg.
In addtion, and for Debian users I will create two new packages called idesk-menu and idesk-background.
Please, send me yours comments.
Retaking the TODO List for Idesk
After I released the version 0.7.5, I see idesk finally is very stable (just some bugs still remain but them aren’t important). For that I want to do my TODO List pendient. My originally list was:
- Menu on right click for reconfiguration the icons options (Properties: caption, delete, sort, command and change icon). Taken the originally themes and pixmap.
- Support for SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) format (again). The support disappeared in the new version for avoid the GTK2 dependencies. I will add new support with new libraries.
- Support for composite extension from Xorg.
- Especial Icons for Mount and Umount devices.
- Vertical text labels. For Caption and Tooltip.Caption
- More funcionality for background image with rotation and time.
Seeing the list, the point number 6 it’s ready and works fine now. I’m thinking to do the point number 1, but it’s very important for me create a tool for configure the icons of easy form. After I’m planning to do the points number 3 and 5.
However, I want to know a direct opinion from the users. If you think or have a great idea that could have IDesk, please send me its requests.
Thanks. Idesk is walking ,,,
The new version 0.7. 5 is free. This fixed the last bugs found.
Problem with the background changer system. Fixed
You can set the value Background.Delay: 0 for inactive the background changer system with this you will conserve your original wallpaper image from your Desktop. For active the background system you must set a value major than cero. But if you don’t have anyone Background instructions, the default value is 0 anyway.
table Config FontName: gothic FontSize: 11 FontColor: #37CFA6 ToolTip.FontSize: 11 ToolTip.FontName: gothic ToolTip.ForeColor: #0000FF ToolTip.BackColor: #FFFFFF ToolTip.CaptionOnHover: true ToolTip.CaptionPlacement: Right Locked: false Transparency: 100 Shadow: true ShadowColor: #000000 ShadowX: 1 ShadowY: 1 Bold: true ClickDelay: 300 IconSnap: true SnapWidth: 10 SnapHeight: 10 SnapOrigin: BottomRight SnapShadow: false SnapShadowTrans: 200 CaptionOnHover: false CaptionPlacement: bottom FillStyle: fillinvert Background.Delay: 0 <--- If you want to let inactive Background.Source: None Background.File: None Background.Mode: Center Background.Color: #C2CCFF end table Actions Lock: control right doubleClk Reload: middle doubleClk Drag: left hold EndDrag: left singleClk Execute: left doubleClk Execute: right doubleClk end
Problem with startup notification support (option –enable-libsn). Fixed
The idesk-0.7.4 chrashes after starting xmms (and other programs). This bug was reported by Gentoo users. The bug is fixed now.
I solved both problems (and other minor bugs). Please download and enjoy. Idesk is better and stable. Many new features soon
Important note for Debian users: I’m the Debian Mantainer for this package. But I just did a small update. I didn’t do a new package 0.7.5-1 … because for me it was innecessary. I just did a new update package 0.7.4-2 (an update for 0.7.4-1). It has the fixes for the problem with the background changer system. But doesn’t have the fix for startup notificacion. Why not? because under Debian the package by default doesn’t have support for that. In this way, you just need sync with the Debian unstable tree (apt-get update).
I have received notice about two bugs under 0.7.4 Idesk version.
The problems are basically:
- Problem with the background changer system. This it changes the background color and you still have a green background although you don’t have anyone Background instructions in the .ideskrc file. The solution will let you can use the Background.Delay option with 0 value to disable the background system (without delete nothing more). But if you don’t have anyone Background instructions, the default value will be 0 anyway. For now and until I will release the new version, there isn’t a solution for you can let inactive the background changer system.
- Problem with startup notification support (option –enable-libsn). The idesk-0.7.4 chrashes after starting xmms. This bug was reported by Gentoo users. If you don’t have the support for statup notification the program works well. The bug still hasn’t a solution.
I’m working on both problems. The first problem is fixed, but the second I haven’t seen nothing yet. May be this weekend. I hope release the 0.7.5 version with the bugs fixed. The next week should be ready.
I will do too, the fixed on the Debian unstable package tomorrow (but just with the first bug fixed).